Monday, October 26, 2009

Neither Give Place to the Devil




Ephesians 4:27 says, "Neither give place to the devil". Isn't it amazing that after reading in Ephesians 1 and 2 that we are seated together with Christ in heavenly places, far above all principality, power, might and dominion; that just 2 short chapters later, we must be exhorted not to give the devil place in our lives.


This week I got steaming mad at a family member; and for 'good reason'. This person has been acting inappropriately for some time, and it has had a negative effect upon other members of the family. I felt that I had tolerated just about enough of their nonsense. So I blew my top. I did not confront the offensive person, but rather spent the whole day ranting to my husband about the issue. The next morning I felt like I had a 'rage' hangover. I knew exactly where the problem was; it wasn't with the other person...but with me. You see, I have to walk the love walk no matter what others say or do. And for me, a big part of this is curbing my mouth. As I went to prayer and asked the Lord to forgive me, Ephesians 4:27 came to me. At the same time I could see myself sitting at the top of a high cliff with a sheer rock wall below me. The devil was trying to scale the rock wall to get to me, but there was nowhere for him to get a foothold. Then I began to speak. I was saying negative, faithless things. And every time I spoke in this manner, a little rock would appear on that cliff wall, and the devil would grab it or put his foot on it and climb a little higher toward me. My words were giving place to the devil! So I repented and turned that person over to Him. I don't ever want to give the enemy a way to get to me.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I will probably never have your strong faith, which I admire, or a commitment to any religion, but I do believe that when something is wrong we should look to ourselves first. There may be something that we can do to help the situation... sometimes not.
      Usually, the person knows what they are doing. Many times this person is crying inside... there is a sadness in them that makes them behave in a disagreeable way.
      If I talk to God about it, I always gain a better understanding of the person's behavior. By talking to "God", I mean praying to my higher power who helps me in all things.
      I had a friend who was always telling me to read the Bible more. I guess it's true.(I should honor her wishes, now that she's gone.) It seems to speak of insight into human behavior that is wise and true.
      Just being angry gives the other person "power" (and lets you vent), but it doesn't always remedy the problem.
      My inner voice always says,
      "What can you do to make the situation better?" This seems to give me a better perspective.
      Good thoughts on this post...

      Delete
  2. I have been here too~ I am so thankful that God is faithful and just to forgive us when we act so human!

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete